Courtyard Marriott Toronto Downtown
475 Yonge St
M4Y 1X7, Canada
Agile Release Planning
The Agile Release Planning Workshop is standalone, for one day. You receive a “Certificate in Agile Release Planning” from LeanAgileTraining.
This workshop is also the third day of our CSM (Certified ScrumMaster) or CSPO (Certified Scrum Product Owner) courses. We do this workshop after every CSM or CSPO. Our goal is to make the courses much more useful by immediately following the course with a practical workshop using real work.
This is key: We are using real work to do Agile Release Planning. The workshop is based on Joe Little’s book on Agile Release Planning.
The Workshop covers three main topics:
- Agile Release Planning (occupies most of the time)
- Release Plan Refactoring (a.k.a. Product Backlog grooming and Product Backlog refinement)
- Rolling into the first Sprint and the impact on the meetings in the first Sprint (as time permits).
The Agile Release Planning topic (#1) includes the following with a real project (or product work):
- Agree on the Vision
- Develop the Product Backlog
- Estimate Business Value
- Estimate Effort
- Discuss Risks, Dependencies, Learning, Minimum Marketable Feature Set and other factors
- Order the Work
- “Complete” the Release Plan
- Discuss communication
We form a team at each table (typically about four people), and each team works on a different set of real work. It is even better if you can bring a full real team to the workshop.
While you may not be able to take every one of these detailed practices “back home” immediately and fully, you will find yourself challenged and you will be able then to find a way that is more Agile in real life, although maybe not exactly what I proposed. One way to do ‘tailoring” is to get six more colleagues together and do the Scaling workshop. Contact us if you are interested.
- Working with a real team on real work is an excellent way to start using Scrum.
- Attendees gain confidence that “I can really do this.”
- The workshop brings out each person’s real issues and concerns.
- The participants find that some concerns turn out to be insubstantial, and they dissipate. And we address the other concerns.
- You are prepared to really start Scrum “on Monday.” For example, you now have a decent Product Backlog.
- You earn 8 SEUs toward the requirements of the CSP (Certified Scrum Professional) certification.
- You earn 8 PDUs toward your PMI requirements.
- You will receive a free copy of Joe’s book, Agile Release Planning.
- Joe Little, an experienced Agile coach and Scrum Trainer (CST), will lead this workshop.
- Joe has given this workshop over 150 times.
- Joe has co-trained 8 times with Jeff Sutherland (one of the co-creators of Scrum), and we believe you get more ‘real Scrum’ because of this co-training.
- Joe has an MBA and 20+ years of senior level Big 6 and related consulting experience.
- Joe has in-depth practical experience in helping teams become very productive with Scrum and Agile.
- He often co-teaches with other great Scrum trainers. Take a look at Joe’s blog, Agile & Business.
- Joe is a Certified Scrum Trainer (CST) associated with Scrum Alliance.
Who Should Attend
- Anyone may attend
- The best is the whole Scrum Team and the related business stakeholders
- Others interested in Agile estimating and planning should attend
If you take the Workshop standalone, we recommend that at least one person from your group has taken either our CSM or CSPO course.
- You should have taken a CSM course or CSPO course with Joe Little (but not required),
- or have read most of Joe Little’s book on Agile Release Planning,
- or discuss with a colleague who has attended our course and come with that colleague.
Registration and Fees
- Price for the workshop is $450.
- You may receive better pricing if you take the Workshop in conjunction with a CSM or CSPO course.
- There is a $50 discount for members of a local Agile/PMI group.
- In addition, there is a 3% discount off the net due if you pay with cash (e.g., at the beginning of the course). To secure this discount, you must pay a non-refundable $100 deposit in advance. Normally this is just a partial prepayment.
The fee covers food and beverage (typically, a continental breakfast, AM break, lunch, and a PM break).
Please register using the ‘Register Now’ button (above right). If you register multiple people, please send us an email with their names and email addresses.
You may also contact our office and we can discuss other payment methods, receipts, invoices, etc. Payment methods include USD check, money transfer, credit card, PayPal, over-the-phone (CC), cash, etc. All payments should be received before the workshop starts. Once we receive payment you will be registered.
The workshop date may be changed up until 16 days prior to the start date. We will advise you.
If for any reason you cannot make a course, you may send another person in your place for free, or you may move to another date for the same course for free if you tell us at least 8 days in advance. If you want to change dates 7 or fewer days in advance, a $100 change fee will be charged.
If you must completely cancel, 100% of the course fee will be refunded if you cancel more than 16 days in advance of the workshop. A 30% cancellation fee will be charged for refunds requested 15 or fewer days before the workshop start date.
This website has additional helpful information.