Novotel Montreal Centre
1180 Rue de la Montagne
Certified Scrum Master Course + Workshop
Our Certified Scrum Master Course + Agile Release Planning Workshop approach is unique. Unlike others, we offer a two-day interactive CSM Course plus a one-day Agile Release Planning Workshop.
The Certified Scrum Master Course gives you an applied understanding of the Scrum process and will help you develop the tools, attitudes and skills required to apply Scrum on your projects and across your organization. The ARP Workshop allows you to take real work and do Agile Release Planning with it. It develops many basic skills with real work. It is highly recommended by attendees.
The course covers the basics of Scrum and several advanced topics, so that you will have the knowledge, the interest and the motivation to use these ideas more effectively. You will have enough knowledge and skill to get started with Scrum, and be more successful.
Upon completion of the course and workshop, you will receive 24 SEUs (Scrum Educational Units) and 24 PDUs toward PMI requirements. (Or 16 SEUs and 16 PDUs if you only take the CSM Course.)
In addition to the course and workshop, after you pass the CSM Test you receive:
- Recognition by the Scrum Alliance as a Certified ScrumMaster
- A two-year membership in Scrum Alliance.
- A printed copy of the course materials (and a softcopy)
- One pack of Fibonacci estimating cards, for use in estimating with your team
- Other Scrum-related materials
- SEUs and PDUs as described above
- A free copy of our book on Agile Release Planning
Note: To become an official CSM, you must satisfactorily complete the course and the CSM Test. The CSM Test is later, online and takes about 45 minutes. You must also agree to the Scrum Alliance license agreement.
Samples of What You Will Learn:
- Practical, project-proven practices
- The essentials of getting a project off on the right foot
- How to write User Stories for the Product Backlog
- How to help both new and experienced teams be more successful
- The basics of scaling Scrum, perhaps to large, multi-continent project teams
- Tips and tricks from the instructor’s ten years of using Scrum in a wide variety of environments
The Agile Release Planning Workshop:
- Unlike others, we always offer a one-day Agile Release Planning Workshop with the course.
- The workshop takes the real work of the identified Product Owner at each table, and that table team does the Agile Release Planning for that work.
- It is an excellent way to take the ideas of the course and make them practical. It builds the initial Product Backlog. It gets you and your team ready to start on Monday.
- You may take the Certified Scrum Master Course only, but be aware that attendees strongly recommend the ARP Workshop.
- You may also take the ARP Workshop by itself.
- Joe Little, who has 10 years of experience as an Agile coach and Certified Scrum Trainer (CST), will lead this Scrum course.
- Joe has co-trained eight times with Jeff Sutherland (one of the co-creators of Scrum), and we believe you get more “real Scrum” because of this experience.
- Joe has an MBA and 20+ years of senior level Big 6 and related consulting experience.
- Joe has in-depth practical experience in helping teams become very productive with Scrum and Agile.
- He often co-teaches these courses with other great Scrum trainers. Take a look at Joe’s blog, Agile & Business.
- Joe is a CST associated with Scrum Alliance.
Why Choose Us?
- A better trainer
- Fun, entertaining and memorable course
- More success
- …because more real Scrum
That is, Joe co-trained eight times with Jeff Sutherland and therefore you are hearing more of real Scrum than any alternative except Dr. Sutherland himself.
You may want to learn about our Referral Program and about our Refresher Program. We are also starting to offer free and paid webinars to go along with the in-person course. The content of the course and workshop are described more fully here.
- Read the “Scrum Guide” by Sutherland and Schwaber. (About 17 pages)
- Read one of Ken Schwaber’s or Jeff Sutherland’s books. We recommend for beginners: “Agile Project Management with Scrum” by Ken Schwaber, or “Scrum” by Jeff Sutherland. They are available in Kindle versions, if that interests you, and some libraries have them.
Our website (and especially our blog) has lots of other information that may be helpful to you.
Registration and Fees
- You may see the Early Bird price for the two-day CSM Course above. The normal price is $1,500.
- You may see the Early Bird price for the two-day CSM Course + one-day ARP Workshop above. The normal price is $1,850.
- We can change from Early Bird pricing to normal pricing at any time.
- If you need us to hold a price for you for a couple of days (e.g., to get approval), please contact us and we probably can do that.
- If you are a member of a local Agile group or PMI chapter or SPIN group, you can normally get a $100 reduction in these fees. (This discount is not available below $1,000.)
- Alternately, there is a 10 percent discount for any group of three or more.
- In addition, there is a 3 percent cash discount. That is, 3 percent off the net due if you pay with cash (i.e., cash, not check, at the beginning of the course). To receive the cash discount, you must make a $100 non-refundable deposit (which normally is just a pre-payment, and typically done by credit card).
The fee also covers food and beverage at the course (typically, a continental breakfast, AM break, lunch and a PM break). The course fee also covers the cost of the CSM Test.
Please register using the “Register Now” button (above right). If you register multiple people, please send us an email with their names and email addresses.
You may also discuss options by contacting us. We can discuss other payment methods, receipts, invoices, etc. Payment methods include USD check, money transfer, credit card, PayPal, over-the-phone (CC), cash, etc. All payments should be received before the course starts. Once we receive payment you will be registered.
The course date or location may be changed up until 16 days prior to the start date. Please do not book non-refundable travel expenses without discussing with us. We can advise you on the date is set.
Policy for Changes and Refunds
If for any reason you cannot make a course, you may send another person in your place for free (no additional fee). You must identify that person before the course starts.
There are other options and other situations. Some involve notable fees or deductions. These rules are discussed at this webpage. You are responsible for reading these rules carefully. In general, fees or extra costs are more likely if you are within 16 days of the course start.
Please contact us if you have questions!